You have to try these green papaya and mango chicken tacos. It’s an unusual combination, but once you dare to try it, you won’t get enough of it!
I really love to use the “green”, or unripe fruits for makings salads. They are such a nice change from the usual salad ingredients like lettuce, tomato, and carrots. In both Latin America and Asia, savory dishes prepared with fruits are very common, such as Thai green papaya salad or fruits with savory dressings like the Mexican “Tajin” (a blend of dried chili, lemon, and salt), which is an excellent seasoning for pineapple.
Green papaya and green mango have a very fresh and unusual flavor which, combined with fresh herbs and lemon, make an explosion of tropical flavors. You will never know how awesome this combination is until you dare to try it!
These very easy to make tacos exalt the freshness and acidity of the fruits giving a colorful welcome to the spring/summer season. Those flavors, combined with a protein like chicken, seafood or fish make a healthy and light meal full of vitamins.
Just keep it simple. Adding garlic or too many spices to pair with these tacos might not be the best idea because the star should the explosive flavor of the green fruits.
Ingredients for the green papaya and mango chicken tacos
- 2 chicken breasts
- A pinch of salt, pepper and cumin
- One green mango
- One small green papaya
- Half an onion
- Green onion leaves
- Cilantro (leaves and stem, finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Wheat flour or corn tortillas
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and cumin. Slice.
- Cook in a hot and lightly oiled pan.
- Thinly slice the fruits and vegetables in julienne. I recommend you to use a mandolin slicer for a perfect cut.
- Mix all the vegetables with lime juice and add salt to taste.
- To assemble the taco: add some chicken pieces over the warm tortillas and top with the salad.
This salad recipe is great for a vegan ceviche if you remove the chicken, or you can cut the ingredients in tiny cubes for an exotic “pico de gallo” or salsa to go with a spring barbecue. Once you try these green papaya and mango chicken tacos, you will feel inspired to mix some raw fruits into your everyday meals and have fun experimenting!